Frequently Asked Questions

How and where do I pay my water bill?

City Hall is located at 130 Main Street, across from the County Courthouse, and is open from 9-4:30 Monday through Friday. Forms of payment accepted include: cash, money orders, checks, Visa and Mastercard.

Where do I get business license applications?

Licenses and Form applications are available on line or at city hall. They must be printed and filled out, sent in either in person or by mail or fax. Once all pertinent information, zoning, building and other permit information is resolved, appropriate fees are figured.

Where do I find out about zoning issues?

Please call City Hall and request information regarding zoning.

How do I get my water turned on?

For a new resident or client, please come to City Hall with a picture ID, lease agreement (if applicable) $45 hook up fee and a $25 administrative fee (total $70). If water has been turned off due to non-payment, there may be other charges incurred. Please come by to see one of our staff.

What is the cost of water service?

Please see our current water & sewer rates for in and out of town residents at city hall (2 pages).

When and how often are water meters read?

The meters are read once a month beginning around the 15th or middle of the month and billed at the end of the month.

What do I do when planning to build a new home or business within the city?

Please call City Hall to obtain the particular licenses and permits that may be applicable.

Can I pay my traffic fine online?

Yes, follow the link to Barnwell County online payments.

Where do I voice a complaint about Animals? Noises? Traffic? Water/Sewer? Street Lights? Trash/Litter/Illegal Dumping?

Animal Control - Please call the Barnwell Police Department
Pet or Farm Animal Ordinances - City Hall
Noises - Barnwell Police Department
Traffic - Barnwell Police Department
Water and/or Sewer problems/issues - City Hall
Street Lights - Please have pole number available - contact either City Hall or SCE&G directly.
Trash/Litter/Illegal Dumping - Please call the Barnwell Police Department if you suspect any illegal dumping within the city limits.

What do I do if I want to plan an event, rent a park, or stage a demonstration?

The City Hall can help you with the scheduling of your activities. There are permits for park rentals (pdf) and special permits for other event activities (pdf).

When is my garbage or yard trash scheduled to be picked up?

Garbage is collected Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.  Yard debris is collected on Wednesdays.  Please see the schedule to find your street.

Contact Us

City Hall

130 Main Street
PO Box 776
Barnwell, SC 29812

Phone: 803-259-3266
Fax: 803-259-7959



© Copyright City of Barnwell, SC - Phone: 803.259.3266 - E-mail the Webmaster