The Barnwell Development Association (formerly the Downtown Barnwell Development Association) is a 501(c)3 not for profit organization of volunteers looking for members of the community (business, industry and individuals) who value the quality of life here in Barnwell and believe that by working together, we can strengthen our economic and community development for a better future for all.
Vision of the BDA
For Barnwell, South Carolina to be a community where local businesses are supported well, where community pride is strong, where the quality of life is excellent, and where our children want to return to live, work and raise their families.
Mission of the BDA
The Barnwell Development Association works to improve the City of Barnwell through its goals, with a special focus on the heart of the city. The organization assists the City of Barnwell with implementing plans and programs for community improvement.
Goals for the BDA
- Beautify and maintain our community from the heart of downtown outward.
- Recruit businesses and individuals who share pride in our community.
- Plan, promote and implement programs and events that will increase our community bonds, enhance our community image, support our businesses, and provide fun and enjoyable activities for all.
- To build a mutually supportive structure within the Barnwell Business Community, that furthers the interests of all businesses by intensive and continuing promotion efforts.
- Work with the city, other organizations, businesses and groups in planning special projects and partnerships to create opportunities to build community and create lasting legacies.
Existing Community Programs with the City of Barnwell - 2020
- Christmas by Candlelight…the Thursday after Thanksgiving, downtown merchants are open after the annual Christmas Tree Lighting. Sidewalks are lined with luminaries and Santa sees the kids at the Old Police Station.
- Tree Lighting – Love Light Ceremony…in Partnership with The People Sentinel, we are raising awareness and funds to assist the elderly in our community during this season. Thursday after Thanksgiving
- Annual Christmas Parade…the first Saturday in December
- MAKE A DIFFERENCE MONDAY! a new clean up initiative beginning in 2019 and continuing each month on the second Monday of the month from 4-5 pm. Locations will be sent out via city website, Barnwell Buzz and FB. See the flyer.
Barnwell Development Association
The Board of Directors meets on the First Tuesday of each month. 130 Main Street...8 am. Join us!
The BDA, working with the Tourism and Community Development Director for the City of Barnwell, will continue to assist with the implementation of the Master Plan which will ultimately be beneficial for the entire city and community surrounding Barnwell.
The BDA would also like to create new programs that would encourage more community involvement and to support business and economic development. New programs and projects, along with continuing to strengthen our existing ones will help us accomplish our mission. Your membership and support will assist us in our efforts. Click Here for our downloadable Membership Form.